Thursday 24 September 2015

A HEARWARMING STORY

Here’s a story to warm the cockles of your heart. Michael Janisch is a world-class bass player. He has been to Shetland several times before and has readily expressed his liking for the place and its community. He has a fine new band featuring an array of the finest musicians you could ever hope to hear.

Janisch has organised a 35-date UK tour of this excellent band, known as Paradigm Shift after the title of their new first album which has already gained much praise. He applied for funding from the appropriate arts councils. He sent me an email yesterday with some rather sad news. He said:
Last night before I set off to Southampton to play a full house at the great venue, The Talking Heads, I was notified that my application to tour Scotland, curate a festival that gave over 20 artists work and exposure, and teach to an anticipated 500+ students via outreach was 'not worthy' of public funds… I received a grant from the Arts Council England (for the English and Welsh parts of the tour) and they told me in the acceptance letter it was one of the finest music applications they've received all year w/ broad artistic scope, great outreach and consideration for rural/city areas.  I felt positive that the Scottish grant was equally as worthy, and all I asked for was barely 30% of my total Scotland tour budget.”
However, he IS going ahead with the Scottish dates and WILL be coming to Shetland, but he is funding all this leg of the tour himself. Now, I don’t know about you, but this is either an act of stupidity or an act of loyalty beyond the call of duty. I prefer to acknowledge the latter. As a promoter, I know that the margins, even with a grant, are hard to overcome. I’d like to think that the people of Shetland will reward his courage and turn out in their hundreds to see the Michael Janisch band in the Carnegie Hall on Friday 2 October, in Bixter Hall at lunchtime on Sunday 4 October, at Mareel on evening of 4 October and at his wonderful educational workshop organised by Sioban Tekcan at the Garrison Theatre on Saturday 3 October.

Believe me, this is a BRILLIANT band of musicians. Norman Willmore saw this band in Cardiff and says it was one of the best gigs he’d ever been to. Let’s give them our full support. Gosh, they absolutely deserve it.

Jeff Merrifield
Shetland Jaws

No comments:

Post a Comment