Friday 30 October 2015

Norman Watt-Roy - a blog from Ian Perry


Norman Watt Roy


What to say about Norman Watt Roy? Well I could regurgitate information that could be found on Wikipedia about him. That he is the long time bass player with two of my all time favourites, The Blockheads and Wilko Johnson, but that really wouldn’t do him justice . I could drop in some Interesting snippets such as he played bass lines for Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood (although none of them made it to the final version of the song). I could name drop about him recording with acts as diverse as The Clash, Roger Daltry, Nick Cave and Jona Lewie to name but a few. That's all very interesting but I think the much more significant about him is the influence he has had on music generally and bass players in particular.

I remember watching a documentary as a teenager where Ian Dury introduced a fresh faced Norman Watt Roy and he demonstrated the bass line for ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’. As an aspiring bass player I was blown away by the dexterity and tunefulness of the bass line which not only showcases Norman's incredible talents but is also an integral part of what is in my opinion one of the best pop songs of all time. After playing for over 30 years I can just about get close to playing this line at the frantic speed that he manages effortlessly. On other tracks his contribution to the whole is always just what it needs to be. Sometimes the main melody of the track (‘My Old Man’, ‘Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll’ and ‘Wake Up and Make Love With Me’ to name just three), or when required he plays a simple bass line as reference for the rest of the composition. To me that's the measure of a truly great musician. Playing what the tune needs to be great as a whole. Not always looking to showboat and impress. Knocking out sometimes simple, but more often complex riffs and lines impeccably and when the occasion arises playing a solo that leaves you spellbound and inspired.


Jeff asked me to write this because I happened to mentioned to him that Norman is one of my bass player heroes. That's a strong word that I think needs to justified. As a bass player when I listen to music I tune into the bass. I analyse and critique that aspect of the production. Often I come to the conclusion that, ‘I could do that’. When someone inspires you to practice and learn because you aspire to play nearer to their level, but you recognise that it is so much higher than your own, that’s when they become a hero. When you appreciate just how well they play and how despite the technical difficulty they made it look effortless, to me that is what justifies admiration and appreciation. That's how Norman has inspired me and many other bass players. So I'm looking forward to seeing my hero playing in person for the first time ever. And one day, just one day I might be able to play the bass line from ‘Hit me with your Rhythm Stick’ at full speed without pausing or fluffing the odd note or two. Well I can dream can’t I?

No comments:

Post a Comment